- Course Code: UKSC19DOG
- Location: Online
- Duration: 8 hours
- Cost: £100.00
- Qualification: Introduction to Being a Dog Trainer Certificate
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Introduction to Being a Dog Trainer
This training course provides useful insights, tips and advice on the knowledge, skills and attributes that you need to start a career as a dog trainer. Dog trainers are always in demand and there are a range of specializations available to those interested. The course describes the career prospects, ethics and values while providing useful information on how to train dogs.
The course includes the following information:
- An introduction to pursuing a career as a dog trainer, as well as information on personal and professional ethics.
- Introduction to different training techniques, procedures and equipment required to be able to train dogs, with explanations regarding the uses and benefits of each.
- How to train puppies, including crate training, teaching them to stay quiet and avoid whining or howling and training them to come when called.
- How to train older dogs with regard to socialization issues, overcoming anxiety/shyness, controlling aggression and teaching proper behaviour in general.
- How to train dogs to stop nuisance barking, submissive urination and regulate eating behaviours.
- Training techniques to train rescued/abused dogs and how to train dogs for security, companionship and therapy purposes.
- Information required to kick-start your career, including licenses, permits and certifications and how to offer your training services and get your business off the ground.
Benefits of Studying this Course
- You can look forward to a number of advantages by studying this course. Here’s a closer look at the benefits:
- You get a clear idea of the permits, licenses and certifications required to get your career in dog training started.
- Learn how to train dogs to behave in the correct manner.
- By developing the required skills and learning the right techniques, you can effectively train dogs.
- You learn the specializations in dog training and can offer niche dog training services.
- Introduction and brief history of dog training
- Starting your career
- Duties and responsibilities of a dog trainer
- Code of ethics
- Basics of puppy training
- Socialisation periods
- Body language and non-verbal cues
- How to interpret dog vocalisation
- Fundamentals of puppy socialisation
- When, why and how to socialise a puppy
- How to create positive experiences
- How to use clicker training
- Help your clients choose the right lead and collar
- Crate training basics
- How to crate-train your puppy
- Benefits of crate training
- Dog psychology
- Setting limits and boundaries
- Classical conditioning
- Operant conditioning
- Fundamental principles of operant conditioning
- Reinforcement techniques
- Myths of operant conditioning
- ABCs of canine behaviour
- How to incorporate empowering words and language
- Activities and games to engage with your dog
- Behaviour modification versus obedience training
- Lure reward training strategies
- Lure reward strategies
- Punishment in lure reward training
- Diagnoses and defining canine behaviours
- Separation anxiety and correction
- How to communicate with clients
- How to work with protection trained dogs
- How to show hand signals
- Teaching a dog to come to heel
- How to conduct dog training classes
- Pros and cons of conducting training in a retail environment
- How to make your training classes fun and engaging
- How to start your own dog training business
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Introduction to Being a Dog Trainer Certificate course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 10 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 10 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 10 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Introduction to Being a Dog Trainer Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 8 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
Learn with confidence
Learning Professionals work in association with industry experts including: